Once again, I have been SO bad about posting. But ya’ll, if you have never experienced law school exams, count your blessings. These things only count for a measly 100 PERCENT of our grades and we’re graded on a curve so, stress can run high and bring you to places you are ashamed to admit. Or rather keep you from places. Like the gym. Or the shower. Not that I am speaking from experience… Let’s just say that BOGO dry shampoo was the best investment I’ve made in a while.
When I tried to get on to write this post, I accidentally went to WestlLaw instead of WordPress…if that sentence doesn’t mean anything to you, then lucky you.
Anyways, this week had an especially shiny silver lining. In fact, this lining was straight sterling silver. I found myself mindlessly clicking on links on facebook during the highly important procrastination stage of my studying process, and was drawn to a headline on Refinery29 for National Grilled Cheese Day (seriously, how did we not have off school for that one?). The second featured sammie was a grilled brie with pistachio, honey, kale pesto. Hmmm, sounds exactly like something I made a month or so ago and never got around to putting on the blog.
I clicked through to the recipe thinking “I can’t believe someone else made the exact same sandwich I did! I thought that was pretty unique!” Well, I about spit out my coffee with excitement when I was taken to Food52 and saw that the recipe was actually mine! I had submitted it to a contest in March for the best recipe using honey. And then I had forgotten about it.
Well, turns out people liked it. People really liked it. It was a community pick! And eye catching enough to make it onto another site too! This is the sort of thing people who love to cook and share food live for. My life feels a little more complete.
I also feel like a total idiot since I had put the recipe on my backburner of blog posts. But not anymore, this baby is now my pride and joy! Call me a fair-weather fan if you want, I embrace it.
If you want to see the post on Food52, just follow the link!
Grilled Brie Cheese Sandwich with Pistachio, Honey, and Kale Pesto
Makes four sandwiches
1 cup packed torn kale leaves
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup shelled, roasted pistachios
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend well until very smooth
1/2 cup prepared kale pesto (recipe above)
8 slices high-quality crusty white bread, such as French bread
4 ounces brie cheese
4 tablespoons salted butter
- Spread 2 tablespoons of pesto on each of 4 slices of bread; set aside.
- Slice the brie, and divide evenly among the remaining 4 slices of bread.
- Put the pesto-covered bread, pesto side down, on each brie-covered slice of bread.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and melt 2 tablespoons of butter in it. Add the sandwiches to the skillet.
- Cook the sandwiches until golden brown on one side, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- When ready to flip the sandwiches, remove them a plate, and add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter to the skillet.
- Once the butter is melted, add the sandwiches back to the skillet, with the ungrilled side facing down. Continue to cook about 3 minutes longer, until the cheese is fully melted and the bread is crisp and golden brown on each side.
- Remove from the skillet, cut each sandwich in half, and serve immediately