Remember the other day when I told you I have been ALL about the frozen treats recently: well this is the most indulgent result of a the recent obsession!
Chocolate Fudge sauce? Check. Marshmallow sauce? Check. Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream? You betcha!! Take this recipe and file it away in your “I have had the longest day of my life and need a treat” drawer. You can thank me later.
Loooonggggg ago, the recipe for Momofuku Milk Bar Cornflake Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Cookies caught my eye on Pinterest. You know I am all about some marshmallow with my chocolate. I have made the recipe a few time, but depressingly, executing it perfectly has become a bit of a white whale for me. The flavor, don’t get me wrong, is on POINT, but the look? Not so hot. They always fall completely flat and I end up passing them off as cookie crisps when I give them away. People love them, but I have never been satisfied.
Not one to give up without a fight, I figured if I couldn’t make the cookies work for me, maybe I could capture all of that flavor trilogy perfection and serve it up in a more fail-proof vehicle. Enter the sundae. Impossible to mess up and universally loved, I found my new vehicle of choice for crispy, buttery, salty, sweet cornflake crunch.
Lucky for you, this recipe is hardly a recipe at all. Besides the cornflake crunch (which is extremely simple to whip up), all it really is is a list of assembly suggestions. But you can go crazy there, don’t listen to me. Double the fudge amount! No whipped cream (but, why?)! Add chocolate chips! Toppings first then ice cream on top! The key is that it will all taste amazing. I would even serve this to company. It’s that good.
I made the cornflake crunch loosely based off of the recipe on the Milk Bar website, but I switched up the ingredients a little to get a little more cookie flavor since I was knocking the cookies out of the mix. I replaced the sugar with brown sugar and added a little vanilla to the melted butter. Voila! Oh, and I also replaced “milk powder”..whatever that is…with unflavored powdered coffee creamer. It was the closest thing I could find and it has worked beautifully for me always. Be warned though, this stuff is majorly addictive.
Once the cornflake crunch is baked and cooled, its sundae time! Pile on the toppings, treat someone you love, bask in the adoration. Simple stuff.
Momofuku Inspired Cornflake Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Cookie Inspired Sundaes
For the Cornflake Crunch
3 cups cornflakes
2 packed tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup unflavored powdered coffee creamer
4 1/2 tablespoons melted butter (a ton, I know, but trust)
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees
- Combine all ingredients except butter and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Toss gently to mix
- Melt butter and add vanilla, pour into the cornflake mixture and toss together with clean hands until all of the powder is attached to the cornflakes and small clumps form
- Pour mixture onto a baking sheet lined in parchment paper or a silicon baking mat. Flatten into a single layer
- Place pan in oven and bake for 11-12 minutes, until slightly golden looking and creamer has melted (see the final picture above to get an idea of what this looks like).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on the baking sheet. Break into pieces and store in an air tight container.
For the sundaes:
Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream
Hot fudge sauce
Marshmallow sundae sauce
- Assemble as you would any sundae! I prefer to start with a scoop of ice cream, add a layer of cornflake crunch, a drizzle of fudge, and a drizzle of marshmallow and then top with another scoop. On top of this I drizzle fudge, marshmallow sauce, and then top with whipped cream and sprinkle with cornflake crunch!